Prep all of your ingredients. Slice cherry tomatoes, and minced shallots.
Portion out your wine, olive oil, uncooked risotto, San Marzano tomatoes
Mince 1 shallot finely
Add cut tomatoes in half, with the cut half facing up.
Add sea salt, pepper, olive oil oregano to the
Then roast tomatoes in the oven for 30 mins until they almost look sun-dried
Line a medium pot with olive oil on medium heat, add your tomatoes (either pre-crushed by hand grandma style or pureed, whichever you prefer) and cook as though you’re cooking a sauce.
Add some sea salt and pepper to taste and get the sauce to a point of a nice simmer (about 10-mins).
If the sauce is boiling too much, lower the heat, if not enough, raise the heat.
Add some rinsed can water liquid to space
Cook for about 10 mins until boiling, but don’t overcook want it to still feel raw and fresh
Taste as you go until you like the flavor profile
Always cook in a large pan with room to move the rice around
- Add oil (fat)
- Then add rice and shallots
- Toast the rice keep stirring with a wooden spoon, always move it around so it doesn’t stick or burn
- When rice is hot it’s been toasted well
- Add 1/2 cup white wine and let the alcohol evaporate on high heat. Once the alcohol evaporates,
- Begin with 1 label of broth, lade in and stir for the first phase (make sure rice is always coated with liquid - always more liquid to rice) = every grain of rice can separate itself from the other. Heat high enough for a simmer- let broth speak to you have a conversation, keep taking care of the risotto constantly, .keep stirring, and stirring each grain of rice grain to hit each other and share starches - constantly stirring
- Taste the rice even when raw so you can understand at each step what the different rawness should taste like
- Add salt now when you’re about 75% of the way through
- Risotto should never stick, if it does you’re not taking care of it, you need to see each grain of rice, amount of broth left in the second pan may still be a lot, you don’t need to use it all, Nino had 1 Liter left
- Add oven-roasted tomatoes on top, add olive oil, add Parmigiano Reggiano - ‘mantecare’ - move ad shake the pan with your hand to remove add and emulsify
- Plating - spread it out by moving your plate around.
- Finish with Parmiggiano-Reggiano and some olive oil, basil, black pepper, and make it visually appealing to yourself
REHEATING THE NEXT DAY
Quickly bring back to life with fresh olive oil in a pan and add Parmigiano-Reggiano, basil, black pepper.
Or roll into little golf ball size, batter with egg and breadcrumbs and then fry them in olive oil to make Arancini (Rice balls)